6.15.2008

"BLACK SUMMER"

Photobucket


Yo, I’m not the only one who thinks that this summer is going to be a permanent memory. And I’m only saying that so that the lames out there can wake the fuck up and start taking advantage of this moment in time. We’ve been waiting for some type of real movement, and it looks like we’ve wished it into existence, while working through the trials and tribulations of the last eight four-hundred years.

Now, let’s not get too excited. After all, the weather is crazy right now. Am I the only one who has noticed that cyclones, earthquakes, tornadoes, mudslides, wildfires, floods and droughts all seem to be showing up a lot more these days, with devastating results? I didn’t even mention hurricanes or heatwaves, because we know that’s coming soon. So, yes, it’s going to get even worse than it is now before the summer is over, if that’s imaginable. That’s a dark forecast for the planet.


Photobucket


But that’s not why I named this post “Black Summer.” Well, it’s not the only reason. Second of all, Lil’ Wayne officially jump-started and ghost-rode the Hip-Hop whip, which means that the south has risen once again. And because other signed rappers know the release schedules of major labels, they knew that it would be in their best professional interest to release their projects in the aftermath of a financial windfall. I’m very happy with the music that’s being released right now, and again, I’m not the only one. Energy is in the air.

Third, this is the summer before the first election in which a black man was the nominee of a major party. That’s fucking major. You and I know it, even if you don’t agree with my political philosophy. But the power of the black electorate is finally visible, and it now demands respect. We have a legitimate stake in this election, and I’m not even trying to say that you should be biased towards your race if you’re black. I don’t even worry so much about Obama’s ethnicity; I just think he’s a smart dude who is perfect for these crazy times. And others agree.

Black Summer, a.k.a “The Summer of ’08,” will go down in history as a great moment in the story of America. Shit, I might even go on and record that mixtape/EP that I keep threatening to deliver before August. Maybe. Until then, and until Hell freezes over, I hope to be here, happy and healthy, to deliver the story like Tim Russert would have done. So let’s make this summer one to remember for the ages, before the Reaper comes knocking for our souls. And try not to have too much fun…


Photobucket


Viva la Vida!

No comments: